Skip to content
Lucuma Horchata Smoothie
- 2/3 cup of uncooked brown rice
- 4 1/2 cups of fresh water
- 1 cup of blanched almonds, skins removed (blanching directions below)
- 2 khadrawy dates, pits removed
- 1 large banana (if you’re making a smoothie)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon of lucuma powder
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Add the uncooked brown rice to the blender and pulverize until you are left with a rice-powder.
- Transfer the rice powder to a large bowl; add the raw almonds (skins removed), cinnamon stick and 2 ½ cups of boiling water. Let cool, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Add the rice/almond mixture, dates, ground cinnamon, vanilla and remaining two cups of water to a high-speed blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Place a large metal sieve over a bowl and line with cheesecloth or a nut milk bag. Slowly pour the horchata mixture through the fine mesh stirring and using a wooden spoon to press the pulp against the sieve to extract as much liquid as possible. Lift the cheesecloth or bag and use your hands to squeeze the remaining pulp to get all the liquid out. Discard the pulp.
- Pour the horchata into a glass bottle or pitcher and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy!